Create efficiencies by assigning users to join a Group or follow a person in a Workspace. Admins can use Assignments to automate the process of getting users to see the most applicable content. Assignments are rules that assign or update values when a user meets specific criteria.
This article outlines how to use Assignments to tailor content for users, a significant aspect of a successful employee advocacy content strategy.
🔹 This is available on the Teams and Enterprise plans.
🔸 This feature is accessible to Admin.
- Go to Admin > Settings.
- Select Assignments > New Assignment.
- Title the Assignment.
We recommend keeping the title specific to an Assignments use case.
Define user criteria
Specify the users you want the Assignment to pull. You can choose users based on your Workspace's Departments and Locations or select All Users. (Don't see the Department or Location you want? Here are the steps to add Departments and Locations.)
Select Who receives the Assignment. You can choose one of three options.
- Apply to current users (one-time)—This will not apply changes to new users.
- Apply to new signups (ongoing)—This will not apply changes to existing users.
- Apply to current users and new signups (ongoing for all users)—This will apply changes to existing users and new users on an ongoing basis.
In this example, we are creating this Assignment for new Engineers.
Define follow criteria
To complete the user assignments, you'll choose groups and people for users to follow on a required or suggested basis. "Suggested" means users can see private groups and individuals.
This is where strategy kicks in. Be sure you have a content strategy because Assignments automatically apply to users and continue to apply as long as they meet the criteria. If someone meets the criteria, they won't unfollow the Groups and people you have required them to follow. This could create a bad experience for your users. So please be sure to use Assignments wisely.
In this example, we are following the Engineering Rocks group and suggesting the private Group Engineering Watercooler. Priyanka is an active QA Engineer that we want all Engineers to follow.
If you aren't finding Groups or people you are trying to select for Assignments, you can always add groups and invite people at any time.
Admins can edit, enable, or disable Assignments. To do so:
- Go to Admin > Settings > Assignments.
- Choose Enabled or Disabled on the top menu to select an Assignment status.
- Click the pencil icon to edit an Assignment.
- Hover over an Assignment to Enable or Disable it.
Assignments have a few states available. By default, you'll see Enabled Assignments when you first arrive on the Assignments page. Edit the Assignment by hovering over the title and selecting one of three options.
- Delete—Permanently deletes the Assignment. This is not recoverable.
- Edit—Opens the Assignment to edit the title, user criteria, and follow criteria.
- Enable—Enabled Assignments are live and continue to assign rules to users based on the criteria in the Assignment.
- Disable—Disabled Assignments are not live and do not currently assign users to follow the groups or people designated in the Assignment criteria.
Can I edit an Assignment and add a new Group to assign all users to follow it?
Can I use an Assignment to stop users from following a Group or person?